DEPARTMENT OF MASS COMMUNICATION
FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCE
AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY, ZARIA
A GROUP ASSIGNMENT SUBMITTED TO MAL. HASHIM MUHAMMAD SULEIMAN IN PARTIAL FULFILMENT OF THE
COURSE MCOM 414: ONLINE JOURNALISM
LIST OF GROUP MEMBERS
|U12MM1080||KURE ABEL SAH|
|U12MM1133||FIDDAUSI MOHAMMED SHEIKH|
|U12MM1086||KAKA SARATU POGA|
|U13MM2030||JOHN DEBORAH OJOTULE|
|U12MM1062||JATAU ELKANAH KARAM|
|U12MM1122||JAMES AMAMI JOY|
|U12MM1077||HASHEEM SULEIMAN IBRAHIM|
|U12MM1056||KABIR SARIYA MUHAMMAD|
|U12MM1145||KHALID AMIRAT OMOBOLANLE|
|U12MM1126||GYANG SIMI CHUWANG|
|U13MM2045||GANIYU TAWAKALITU JUMOKE|
|U08MM1072||FILIBUS MARIA M.|
|U13MM2064||FARUK FATIMA GARBA|
|U12MM1152||EZE JULIET NNEKA|
Online Journalism is a contemporary form of journalism where editorial content is distributed via the Internet as opposed to publishing via print or broadcast. What constitutes ‘digital journalism’ is debated by scholars. However the primary product of journalism which is news and features on current affairs, is presented solely or in combination as text, audio, video and some interactive forms, and disseminated through digital media platforms
TYPES OF ONLINE JOURNALISM
Online Journalism is in different types, and is classified in either of these categories;
- MAINSTREAM NEWS SITE: This is the most widespread form of news media production online, which generally offers a selection of editorial contents. Contents of these sites are minimally moderated for participatory communication, as such most online news papers can be said to fall under this category.
This type of news site cannot be said to differ in its approach to journalistic storytelling, news values, and relationships with audience fundamentally from journalism as it is practiced in print or broadcast media
- META AND COMMENT SITES: These are sites about news media and media issues in general, they are sites where online journalism is being discussed by journalists and are intended as online media journalism watchdogs. Here, editorial contents are often produced by a variety of journalists and they basically discuss other contents found elsewhere on the internet. Such contents are discussed in terms of the underlying media production processes. In this respect, the internet has contributed to the further professionalization of journalism in general, as the ability and willingness to publicly reflect on itself and be self-critical is generally seen as one of the defining characteristics of a professional (Beam,1990; Boylan, 2000).
- INDEX AND CATEGORY NEWS SITES: This type of online journalism are hardly found within the mainstream media organization, they are more or less attached to search engines. Here online journalist offer deep links to existing news sites elsewhere on the worldwide web, which are sometimes categorized and even annotated by editorial teams. These sites generally do not offer editorial contents of their own, but offer areas for the exchanging news , tips and links for the general public.
- SHARE AND DISCUSSION SITES: These are platforms that facilitates people’s desires to share ideas, to communicate with each other on equal footing and to allow all and sundry to participate in the communication circle. In other words it is an online based communication infrastructure that allow people to share their feelings to the public without hindrance.
All online writings fall into either of the above categories. As such, gamji and vanguardngr as online media outlets may differ in content production and writing styles. The similarities and differences between these two is discussed below;
Vanguardngr is an appendage and an online version of Vanguard Newspapers owned Vanguard media limited which was established in 1984 by Mr. Sam Amuka Pemu.
Vanguard is one of the leading Newspapers in Nigeria today. It has developed a rich heritage as the most entertaining, refreshing, authoritative, detailed and reader friendly newspaper in the country.
The Paper was established with the vision of “Being the best Media group with the Widest Reach through innovation backed by excellent service delivery, highly motivated human capital and latest technology. Its Mission is to impact positively on its readers/clients and society by providing high quality, reliable and affordable media products for promoting knowledge, political stability and economic prosperity. The core values of Vanguard are as follows;
- Equity and Fairness
- People Centeredness
Vanguard features include: Sports, Advertising, Management and Marketing, Maritime, Energy, Hi-tech and computer, Aviation, Business and Banking, Tourism, Health, Labour, Human angle and Women Affairs, Politics, Education and Insurance.
In addition, the paper also features respective columnists like Kola Animasuan, Dele Sobowale, Pini Jason, Tony Momoh, Bisi Lawrence, Bunmi Sofola, Treena Kwenta and others. These names make vanguard a compelling read for discerning minds.
Over the years of the papers existence, Five (5) editors have overseen its daily editorial matters. These are;
- Muyiwa Adetiba 1984-1985
- Akitoye Akiode 1985-1991
- Frank Aigbogun 1991-1998
- Gbenga Adefaye 1998-2008
- Mideno Bayagbon 2008 till Date
As at today, the paper has on its stable, The Daily Vanguard, Saturday Vanguard and Sunday Vanguard. It has since added other titles taking care of specialized interests. These include Cyberlife, Sports Vanguard, Financial Vanguard, Hi-Tech, Sweet crude and Allure. These titles are so-products specific that no serious policy maker, businessman, students or interest groups and politicians would ignore.
According to vanguardngr./about/ for every copy of vanguard purchased, at least ten people queue to read the same copy. Vanguard is a family oriented newspaper which also appeals to the upwardly mobile executives and captains of industries.
Categorically it is a newspaper with a penetrating reach to all the nooks and crannies of Nigeria which is today complemented by the most sophisticated, global readership through its internet address http:/www.vanguardngr.com. Vanguard is a reference point in sports journalism.
GAMJI.COM is a web based news site founded by Dr. Ismail Iro in 1994 and Coordinated by Magaji Galadima. According to hotnewspapers.com, Gamji online newspaper offers daily local news from Kaduna, Nigeria and also offers national and international news as well as weather, sports, lifestyle, entertainment, business, politics, movies, travel, books, education and more. It also include classifieds for; jobs, cars, real estate and announcements like; celebrations and obituaries.
Gamji’s media collaborates range from local media outlets such as BusinessDAY, DailyIndependent, Daily Sun (tabloid), Daily Trust, Desert Herald, Leadership,National Daily, New NIGERIAN, Observer, Punch, The Guardian, The News, Thisday, Times of Nigeria, Tribune,Vanguard,Weekly Trust, to international media outlet such as AL-JAZEERA, IRIN, Yahoo News, UN News Wire, USA Information, WorldNews Network.
According to tritti, Gamji receives 37 daily unique visitors, its domain has 558 Facebook likes, 1,053Facebook shares and its websites value is 11\100.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF WWW.GAMJI.COM
Malam Magaji Galadima was among some Kano state indigenes sent to undergo training in broadcasting in the United States, in the early 80s. They came back to midwife the state-owned City Television (CTV) now Abubakar Rimi Television (ARTV).
Galadima, later joined the rested Kano-based newspaper “The Pen” as a sub-editor, he later became the editor of the paper before leaving the media for the oil industry. Best known for his robust contribution on the Internet and online forums, Galadima told of how they started the once popular news website; gamji.com and the challenges encountered. He recounted of how Gamji was a product of marginalization of Northern media not only in Nigeria but the world at large as at that time, as such Gamji became an outlet through which the voice of the North became heard and noticed such that it became an online force to reckon with by global media like BBC who put up gamji’s link on its website. Galadima concluded with the hopes that one day, gamji.com will not only operate online, but also become part of the mainstream media in Nigeria.
Gamji writers are mostly renown columnist, editors, authors and experts in various fields, particularly media who produce editorial contents drawn from mostly mainstream media, scholarly write ups and poetry. Some of these editor are:
- ABUBAKAR JIKA
- ALIYU TILDE
- AMINU MAGASHI
- MUHAMMAD IBRAHIM
- JIDEOFOR ADIBE
- KOMBO MASON
- MAGAJI GALADIMA
- MOBOLAJI E. ALUKO
- MOHAMMED HARUNA
- NASIR A. EL-RUFAI
- NOWA OMOIGUI
- OSELOKA H. OBAZE
- PAUL MAMZA
For disclaimers sake, Gamji assures that all views expressed therein are those of the individual writers not those of Gamji. Facts and accuracies are the responsibilities of the authors, also, some people may use pseudo names or generic emails, to which Gamji has no way of verifying. Therefore, an author’s identity should not be inferred on the basis of name, subject matter, or any other characterization presented
While vanguardngr can be typically classified as an example of Mainstream News site, offering a selection of editorial contents online as well as producing in hard copies following the moderations and In-house style of the parent media(Vanguard media limited), gamji could be classified under the Meta and Comment News site, as it could be said to carry editorial contents that are often produced by variety of journalists who basically discuss contents found elsewhere on the internet.
- CONTENT PRODUCERS:
The content producers of vanguardngr comprise of both reporters and editors working for Vanguard newspapers. For gamji however, its content producers are mostly renown editors and media experts as well as seasoned writers who give professional views to issues and matters arising in the nation and the world at large.
- LOCATION: Although having online presence, the location of the parent media for vanguardngr is situated or based in the south-western part of Nigeria with its head office in Lagos as well as branch offices in Port-Harcourt and Abuja. gamji on the other hand is a northern based online newspaper with Kaduna state as its home of origin.
- POPULARITY: In terms of familiarity, vanguardngr has carved a niche for itself becoming a household name in both conventional and online media unlike its counterpart gamji whose online presence is not that known.
- ANNOTATIVE REPORTING: To annotate means to add more information to what is already known and to link up with the existing information to other sources, where an online reader can click and read background information on topical news issues of the day. Annotative reporting is therefore a common parlance in gamji than it is found in vanguardngr as it (vanguardngr) mostly offers more of news on the seconds or on the hour as it breaks, while details follow subsequently
- ONLINE PRESENCE: gamji quite like its counterpart vanguardngr have online presence, this online presence make them easily accessible at home and on the go, enriching their readers with well articulated and informed news stories as they break.
- INTERACTIVITY: In terms of interactivity, both gamji and vanguardngr are open to interactions between the content producers and their readers via their ‘Comment’ sections or through Navigational options provided. But most importantly through Adaptive interactions which adapts to the needs and behaviors of their readers. These interactive opportunities makes it widely participatory, leading to more visitations and referrals.
- ARCHIVABILITY:All contents published on gamji and vanguardngr, are not totally discarded. Rather, they are archived (stored). The contents being archived makes it easy for the users to easily fall back at them later as reference points.
- LINKAGES: With much credence to their online presence, both gamji and vanguardngr provide its readers with varying degree of linkages in the form of hyperlinks and hypertexts. These hyperlinks and hypertexts fore-aide navigation from one news source or story to another. With linkages, the readers are fed with more information within and outside the news sites making the online environment highly connected. As Ted Nelson rightly puts it, “hypertext creates a delivery system for separate closed units”.
- HYPER-ADAPTIVITY: Both gamji and vanguardngr are products of Converged media and Digitization resulting from advancements in information and communication technology, which facilitates open communication between all devices used in some ways or the other to gather, select, edit and distribute information thus, creating contents in an environment which interacts with its surroundings without limitation from the media formats.
Online newspapers are now being used by newspaper industries and journalists to report facts, produced and distributed through the internet, as it has been noticed that people no longer buy printed hard copy newspapers unless if they want to keep it for reference purposes, and the internet users see online papers as readily available with less costly network of access. After all, the internet makes news more interesting because of its interactivity and multimediality, like video, audio, images etc that are used. As such traditional media are being forced to adopt and adapt to this new form of information dissemination system with wider coverage and global reach.
- Deuze , 1999. “journalism and the web: An Analysis of skills and standards in an online environment,” Gazette, volume 61, Number 5, pp.373-390
- Deuze, 2001. Online Journalism; Modelling the First Generation of News Media on the World Wide Web. Chicago University Library.
Mcom 414: Online Journalism; Class Lecture Note as taken by Mal. Hashim Muhammad Suleiman (2016).
www.vanguardngr.com/About/Us ; Vanguard Media Limited, 2016.
A.Abdulaziz,2004.The Story of Gamji.com- Magaji Galadima; beta.group.yahoo.com/neo/groups; Dandalin Siyasa: Ba a raba Hanta da Jini; http:// blueprinting.com/2013/02.